30 April 2014

A sunny day in March at “Amsterdamse Poort”



Bijlmerplein.
The weather forecast was right - the sun is shining. Around 20 degrees isn't bad for 20 March, is it?
I lock my laptop and a bit later, walk towards the exit.
Some colleagues are walking in front of me and one of them rather stands out.

Mr ING.
He is wearing a suit and exudes self-confidence.
I like to call his sort “Mr ING”.
Without men like him, the bank would cease to exist.
Just imagine what it would be like if all staff were the same as our Mr ING.
After all, we can't all be leaders. Someone's got to do the everyday jobs.
Of course, they do need to be motivated.
Anyway, I walk outside and wander around aimlessly.

I observe, therefore I am.
Then I find my place. I watch the crowds. Eating sandwiches, a packed lunch or a hot snack.
Gathering energy, everyone in their own way.
People-watching is fun. Suddenly, a fluorescent curtain catches my eye.
It's moving and is shaped like a person. An elderly man. He stands out, but everyone seems to be ignoring him.
Suddenly, a dark-skinned man on a mobility scooter appears before him.
They are gesturing towards each other and I observe.
I wonder if they are homeless? Or something else? Artists maybe?
Oh, they're just people, I decide.

Paramaribo.
The two say goodbye and the dark-skinned man rides up to me.
“Lovely sun, eh?”, he says and then continues “You're not wearing a coat, are you? I couldn't do that with my muscles.”
“I suppose you're not used to these temperatures?”
The man resolutely offers me his hand and while I shake it, I realise that he is pleased that I understand him.
“My son bought me a ticket to Paramaribo a while ago.
And you know what? My muscles felt a whole lot better...”

Kentucky Fried Chicken.
We chat away and suddenly he looks past me at KFC.
“Hey man, if you get me something to eat now, I'll be really happy…”
I let his remark sink in...
“I haven't got any dough man!”, I answer entirely truthfully, “But our mental contact was really nourishing, wasn't it?”
The man grins from ear to ear and I say goodbye to a fine person. A couple of minutes later, I walk into the office.
I suddenly notice a person in front of me. It's Mr. ING.
Back from his lunch break.
I'd never seen this man before today, and now I've seen him twice!
And I was lucky enough to meet some other people in between.
Isn't that nice?

No comments: