30 April 2014

The New Way of Working



Do you ever get that feeling of irritation on the train or at work?
Because someone is sitting eating an apple opposite you?
Or making annoying noises?
I sometimes get that feeling at work.
When a colleague bashes away at his keyboard as if he were trying to make holes in it, for instance.
That drives me mad and I'm not quite sure why.
Am I so on edge that my nerves are exposed?
Do I have hypersensitive dendrites?
It is what it is and I can live with that.

Working where it's quiet
Luckily, we can work from home every now and then.
I switched my laptop on at home this morning to prepare for the working day that lay ahead.
I checked my calendar and email in peace and quiet whilst eating a cracker.
All of a sudden my daughter appeared with her laptop and sat down to do her homework.
There we were enjoying time together at the breakfast table.

Rhythm
After a while, when I'd almost finished my coffee, my daughter had warmed up.
She really got going. She typed and typed. Paragraph after paragraph.
As she was typing, it seemed as if she were trying to make holes in the keyboard.
And what about me?
My rhythm was completely disrupted.
I started to feel hot. My coffee cup seemed like it was moving and my calendar started to make appointments of its own accord.
Completely put off, I gathered my things, said goodbye and left my peaceful workplace.
I went in the car rather than on the train. No unexpected sounds.
Simply going to work, to that familiar environment.
Luckily, we can work in the office every now and then.

No comments: