20 January 2012

Theater Beursplein

“In shock, I reached for my ING badge”

Last month, I'd arranged to meet friends for our regular night on the town, and this time we'd decided to paint Amsterdam red.
Since I'd arrived a little early, I decided to get off the tram a stop early and walk from the Dam to the train station.
But all of a sudden, I found myself confronted with the occupation of the Beursplein.

For or against “Occupy Beursplein”?
The square was a hive of activity, so I stopped and observed for a while.
“Where do I stand?
Am I for or against this movement?” I pondered.
Deep in thought, I ran through the pros and cons.
How had it all started? With a protest against the financial establishment...
Well, we haven't always been totally upfront with Joe Public have we?
So they have the right to protest. Don't they?
However, according to media reports, the movement now mainly consisted of tramps, homeless people and other such riff-raff!

DeLaMar or Carré
I enjoyed watching this free show for a while.
A performance you'd usually pay a lot of money to see in one of Amsterdam's fine theatres, DeLaMar or Koninklijke Carré.
I came to the conclusion that I could appreciate the movement, as long as they kept things decent.
Suddenly, a large sign grabbed my attention.
"BANKERS ARE WANKERS!"
I was brought back down to earth with a bump and my hand automatically flew to the place where my ING badge always hangs.

Disappointed
Somewhat disappointed, I continued further on my way to Amsterdam Central, with those three hurtful words still running through my head.
I turned back around and surveyed the performance.

Occupy Amsterdam 2011.

“Disgraceful! This shouldn't be allowed!”

No comments: